There are many reasons why you may want to have lessons - from nailing your GCSE or A Level’s, or if you are simply wanting to take better family photographs or even just to learn what all the buttons on your camera do. I also do fun interactive sessions for children.
As a photography teacher, I can teach you the fundamentals of digital photography in a fun, informational and inspirational manner. You will learn to photograph landscapes, portraits of friends, nature and life in action.
Through interactive sessions, you will discover an understanding of the camera and the technical side of photography and will develop an eye and the skills needed to capture, edit and produce high quality photographs.
Why not have an industry expert on your staff? I deliver highly engaging lessons covering any GCSE or A Level syllabus.
I am available to go into any independent school to teach, be it a one off or to become one of your teaching staff for the academic year. I have experience teaching pupils in an inspirational way and can cover any GCSE or A Level syllabus. My knowledge is current and in depth and I am very good at delivering highly engaging sessions. Pupils really benefit from having an industry expert to teach them. I can guarantee improvement.
I offer one to one or group sessions. Beginner, intermediate and advanced level. You decide how you want to use 1-2-1 time. It could be a location shoot followed by some post processing tips or 100% of the time on one topic.
Prices: Contact me with your requirements for prices.
The topics I cover in the lesson are:
1. Getting to know your camera - from aperture to shutter speed and learn about basic camera controls and different scene settings.
2. Looking for Lines - The art of composition. How photographing lines can create simple and striking photographs, and explain which camera settings to use and how best to photograph them.
3. Shutter speed - How it works, from sports/action mode to freezing movement with lots of useful tips along the way. Also how to experiment with shutter speed to create blurry shots.
4. Macro - Photographing insects will teach them how to use the macro setting (close up), how to make them look super-size and how to use flash effectively. Not forgetting flowers too.
5. Story telling photography - The concept of how to tell an engaging story through your photos. We’ll look at some great examples and explore how to plan, execute and present the story to your audience.
6. Black and White Photography - Looking at light and tone, learn about camera settings and share tips on how to take great black and white photographs.
7. Landscape - Using aperture to capture stunning landscapes, includes playing with light and creating interesting compositions to capture some really creative landscape images. (Yorkshire Showground is great for this).
8. Editing - This is a specific/specialist lesson - at my PC using Adobe Lightroom.
Children’s fun sessions
On Sundays and in school holidays I run fun, interactive learning sessions often at the Harrogate Showground/Hookstone Woods. Using the natural setting for inspiration we explore and take pictures whilst learning all about photography in a fun way. I am fully CRB checked and have young children of my own. I can also travel to you or a location of your choice. (Extra props such as ponies and dogs can also be provided). Prices: Dependant on how many children.
“The kids just loved it! Exploring the woods for bugs and taking panoramic shots of the valley and viaduct. John has such a natural, effortless way of communicating and interacting with children. He should do children’s parties! They learned so much about how to take a good photo without even knowing they were. They are so proud of the pictures they took which have now been printed out and put on display. It was fun being a part of it too and I can highly recommend it as something different to do."
“I have been having lessons with John for the last year to help me with my A Level studies. I look forward to them every week as I know we will do something different. Just when I thought I knew everything he surprises me with his in depth knowledge. I especially enjoyed going out for night time shoots and mastering the art of the perfect night photo with no flash. My teacher at school is very impressed with my pictures."